Re: Ties within chords inconsistency

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ties within chords inconsistency
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 23:33:38 +0200

Joram <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> hm. So, this << { } { } >> can be used to combine notes into a chord,
> except that it is not real chord but just notes at the same point in
> time in the same voice.

What do you think a chord is?  It is just notes at the same point in
time in the same voice.

> Which looks like a chord and (from the music point of view) is a chord
> (what else?) but isn't (at least for LP)?  Or is it a real chord?

Why wouldn't it be a chord?

> In any case, ties in the example are then outside the chord (which makes
> sense for single notes), but multiple ties at the same time are then too
> much.

Multiple ties _outside_ the chord at the same time are too much.

> Well, this last part makes some sense to me, but not so much why the
> single notes are not transferred inside the chord including their
> properties like ties

Articulations and ties not written _inside_ of a chord do not belong to
"single notes".  They belong to a moment in time.

> when single-note voices are combined to one.
>
> I feel like saying similar things like Simon and I probably will hear
> the same answer as you gave before :)

Perhaps try understanding it then.  If you want more than juxtaposition
of stuff happening at the same point of time, don't use << >> but try
employing \partcombine.  \partcombine will do things like combine
redundant per-chord articulations.