Re: Define French as a separate input language (issue 288290043 by addre

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Define French as a separate input language (issue 288290043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 00:14:06 +0100

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
> if you allow non-ascii letters in the note names (namely é in ré), why
> not go all the way and call the language "français" instead of
> "francais" (or at least in addition)?

Greetings Joram,
that’s exactly what this patch does :-)
The reason for allowing for "francais" in addition to "français"
(which, as you’ve stated, should be regarded as the primary name), is
to mirror what we’ve done with regard to "espanol"( which is now
aliased to "español", and only still exists for historical reasons).
Now, we *could* even remove "francais" altogether (assuming that users
who want to keep their source code ascii-only will rather use
"italiano" anyway); I’m not entirely sold on this idea but it has been
argued at length when I posted my first attempt:
https://codereview.appspot.com/239930043/#msg7

Cheers,
Valentin.