Re: music function to be included somewhere in scm/*

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: music function to be included somewhere in scm/*
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 16:39:42 +0100

Hi Knut, hi everybody.

On 2016-12-15 13:34, Knut Petersen wrote:
Hi Alexander, hi everybody!

And we might need to offer a way to remove a LyricExtender event.
Unless we go the radical route and ...

After a bit of thinking I'd say: go the radical route.

Attached is a patch against current master that implements it that way.

Beautiful. I was afraid of the amount of work this requires, but it's also my preferred approach. And it looks like the issue popped up at the right time, with a capable person taking care of the dirty details... :-)

An additional no-extender property
is added that can only be overridden by the force-extender property.

 If a user doesn't want it, we need to provide a function \extenderOff
(that translates, e.g., to \override LyricExtender.stencil = ##f).

\layout {
    \Lyrics
    \override LyricExtender.no-extender = ##t
}

I like that.

Only thing to consider there: We'd need a "stop sign" for extenders
that shall only extend to some point in a _ _ _ sequence, as required
in a divisi lyrics setting.

"" and \markup\null are usefull, see 5th exampled in attached
lyrextest.ly/pdf

Works like a charm. If "" is to be recommended in the docs (and I think \markup\null is too verbose for that purpose), we should make sure that the
  warning: LyricText has empty extent and non-empty stencil.
is not issued in that case.

I know that the documentation would need some work, but there is no
reason to start with that until it is known that the changed code
would be accepted.

Makes sense. I'm perfectly happy with that patch. Let's wait for some more opinions.

Thanks and cheers,
Alexander