Re: music function to be included somewhere in scm/*

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: music function to be included somewhere in scm/*
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 13:20:38 +0100

On 2016-12-20 17:21, Abraham Lee wrote:
Yes, thanks for making this possible! It will be a great addition.

Thanks Abraham.

One question I have about having the two properties is how will the two be
reconciled in actual use? In other words, if collapse-length is larger than
forced-length, will there still be the same amount of space between
syllables even without the extender (to the amount of forced-length)?

One thing remains identical to the current situation: Extenders never ever influence horizontal spacing.

Maybe the question I really have is this: what does "given this length _if
possible_" mean and what governs this possibility? I can totally understand
how they work individually, I'm just trying to understand how I can use
them well together since it seems that forced-length contradicts
collapse-length.

You won't really use them together; at least, not both will be effective at the same time: (1) If the natural length (essentially: the distance from the right end of the syllable to the right end of the last note in the corresponding melisma) is less than collapse-length, this extender will not be printed. (2) If you /force/ an extender, that is, you explicitly add one for a syllable that does not belong to a melisma, there is no "natural length" - simply because there is no "natural extender". The "faked" length of such an extender will be given by the minimum of forced-length and the available space to the next syllable. Again, this will not affect the space between the notes.

Forced extenders should only be necessary under extraordinary circumstances, such as an extender reaching into a alternative ending of a repeat, re-extending after rests, or even more obscure design studies.

Cheers,
Alexander