Re: lyrics entry help!!!-was hebrew lily

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: lyrics entry help!!!-was hebrew lily
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:46:56 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> % Does Scheme really not include this function?
> #(define (string-reverse str)
>   (list->string (reverse (string->list str))))

Check out the GUILE 1.6 manual, under SRFI, SRFI-13

> Hmm, the documentation seems *MUCH* more comprehensible than
> last time I checked (half a year or so).  But I declare

That's strange - the doco for the stable version hasn't changed much
in the last half year. Maybe you have become wiser?  :)

> Scheme the worst functional language ever.

:-)

Actually, LISP is worse.

(It helps a lot if you have an editor with paren-matching, like emacs.)

> Or maybe I
> should learn it.  I am really interested in the right way of
> doing the above.

It looks OK, but could be shorter if you use music-map (not sure if
it's available on 1.6 too).

> Hmm.  What is the way to munge the text
> AFTER Lily's positioning work?

Good question - there's is some rather obtuse positioning stuff going
on (I didn't write the code, and it's slated for rewriting). However,
what you probably would want is to set the extent of the object,

        lyr = \lyrics {
            Tamm,
            \once \property LyricsVoice . LyricText \override #'X-extent =
            ta
            damm
        }

where (-5 . 5) is the size of the  object.

Then the next step is to compute (-5 . 5) using a Scheme function as
well (perhaps by calling LaTeX and examining the output), and
inserting the \once \property stuff in between the lyric syllables
using Scheme too. The latter is going to be a lot easier if you use
1.7, because creating new music expressions has become so much easier.