Re: LilyPond: international lyrics ?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: LilyPond: international lyrics ?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:34:20 +0100

Unfortunately, it's not that easy, since LilyPond uses low-level
TeX font selection commands instead of the NFSS font selection
scheme in LaTeX. There are some tricks to make it work, but in
general you have to work it out separately for each new language
and often you have to use lilypond-book to get full control over
the LaTeX header.

However, latin1 works out of the box. For other alternatives,
I recommend that you still output the lyrics in the selected
character encoding but give a warning to the user that he has
to fiddle himself with the settings.

   /Mats

Joerg Anders wrote:
Hi all!

Next NoteEdit

 (http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html)

version will have choices for MusiXTeX export:

1. select the module fonts TeX (T2A, OT2, OT1...)
2. select the locale file (latin1, cp1251, koi8-u, koi8-r...)
3. additional selection of package ucs for UTF-8
An Ukrainian user said this makes it possible to have
correct cyrillic (Russian/Urkrainian) letters in MusiXTeX output.

Of course, if this were possible for LilyPond, I'd introduce
such choices for LilyPond, too. I'm convinced there are
some Russian (Greek, Arabic ...) LilyPond users on this list.

If so, perhaps somebody knows whether I can simply
add for instance for russian/cyrillic LilyPond lyrics:

\usepackage[T2A]{fontenc} \usepackage[cp1251]{inputenc}
to LilyPond header and code the lyrics UTF-8?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology