Re: non-relative relative mode?

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: non-relative relative mode?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:36:08 +0100

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 03:54:16PM +0100, Erik Sandberg wrote:
> I can however imagine that some things can be simpler to typeset with
> absolute mode, e.g. if there is a lot of chords and not so much melodic
> lines. This can be the case in some piano music.

Well, I've indeed some problems using relative mode with my chaconne
experiment. But whenever it becomes too complicated, I break the music
into very short sequences (sometimes only one bar¹), so I can see where
one polyphonic voice ends (and wether to apply octave switches to the
start of the next polyphonic voice).

I guess I'd even less problems when using the part combining feature. But
that would require me to refactor the 602 lines of LilyPond code I've
done allready :-)²

Maybe I'll try that when I've finished the current challenge (that
cadenca problem I noted some days ago, which I've found a quick hack for).

Ciao,
        Kili

¹) What's the correct word: bar or measure? The glossary mentions both.

²) Hey, any Eclipse/Java hackers around? What about a LilyPond plugin
for Eclipse, with refactoring support?