Re: non-relative relative mode?

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: non-relative relative mode?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:54:31 +0100

> > I can however imagine that some things can be simpler to typeset with
> > absolute
> > mode, e.g. if there is a lot of chords and not so much melodic lines.
> > This
> > can be the case in some piano music.
>
> This is EXACTLY what I'm doing.  For some reason I have decided to
> write all chords top-note down.  On my first try in relative mode I
> found my subsequent chords leaping off the staff -- each successive
> chord would begin about two octaves above the previous, and the notes
> within the chord where not in the octaves I had expected.  \transpose
> does exactly what I wish to happen, and so for the moment since it
> seems to be a perfectly sensible thing to do i'll stick with it.

Sometimes when I write sequences of chords, I use a different technique, which
makes use of the \relative stuff: If you have a chord sequence like:
<g e c> <b f d> <c' g e>
then you can just as well write it like
<<{g b c'} {e f g} {c d e}>>

which is easy to write also in relative mode. It works well for the chords I'm
used to (which is classical mandolin music, where there is typically
something like one fifth between two notes in a chord). It might or might not
work well for your purpose.

Erik