Re: \book usage

From: darius
Subject: Re: \book usage
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:43:15 +0100

Quoting Nicolas Sceaux <address@hidden>:

> Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Could you please remind me and others on why you could not simply do it
> > all within a .ly file:
> > \version "2.6.0"
> > \paper{
> > % For version 2.6:
> > scoreTitleMarkup = \bookTitleMarkup
> > % For version 2.7:
> > printallheaders = ##t
> > }
> >
> > \include "piece1.ly"
> > \include "piece2.ly"
> >
> > Now I remember one problem, namely that you have to move all \header{...}
> > blocks into the corresponding \score{...} block, otherwise all the
> > pieces will
> > get the same title. But are there any other problems that you solve
> > easier with
> > lilypond-book?
>
> Table of contents comes to mind.
> I've made a reduction for voice+piano of Giulio Cesare for a singer,
> who asked me to add a table of contents. Argh. But apart from that, I
> don't really see the advantage of using lilypond-book for a document
> with little text. With longer text across pages, it's another story.
>
> nicolas

Table of contents, various performance notes, exotic stuff (an ostinato
part where the same bar is played 157 times, printed just once with
some explanation), etc...

I'm not sure I would not be able to achieve the same with plain Lilypond
though, but I doubt it will provide the flexibility of LaTeX. Besides,
I don't feel like learning yet another markup language :-) LaTeX took
me long enough, thank you very much !!!

Lilypond-book does a great job for me... but experience has shown that
most other people and I do not use Lilypond for the same things, so my
opinion is of limited scope here.

Darius.