Re: Pitch/ octave notation

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Pitch/ octave notation
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:55:35 -0800 (PST)

Erik Sandberg-2 wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 16:50, Peter O'Doherty wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to indicate pitches in the format c4 instead of c'?
>> And if not, does anybody know of any plans to create this possibility?
>
> If you really need this, I'd recommend you to use sed or similar tool as a
> preprocessing step for your score. It should be fairly easy to lexically
> replace c4 with c', c5 with c'', etc. It will probably be confusing
> though,
> because you'll have to write c48 to indicate an eight note of pitch c',
> etc,
> and you won't be able to benefit from the \relative mode.
>
> --
> Erik

Erik,

What is sed?  Is there a homepage and user manual for it?  I am currently
evaluating choices for a pre-processor, I'm looking at both M4 and ML/I.
Should I also be looking at sed as a possibliity?  I want to begin
compartmentalizing my rather long lilypond templates to something beyond
numerous \include files to make it easier to manage.

I wish there were a lilypond dedicated text editor with plug-ins capability
for managing large lp projects, but in the absence of that dream I want to
bite the bullet and learn a pre-processor of some kind.

thanks
Rick