Re: Very Beginner's Guide

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Very Beginner's Guide
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:10:20 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Bonnie Rogers <address@hidden> writes
For consistency, you probably should decide which version of English you will use, American or British, and whether you will give both versions every time or just the first time you use a term that is different in British and American usage. "Stops" is British English, "periods" is American (note capital A) English, but elsewhere you are using the American term "quarter note". In British English a "quarter note" is a "crotchet." For what it's worth, most of us ignorant Americans need a translation of the British terms. I don't know if the reverse is true.

Arghhh.... There is NO SUCH THING as "British English". It's actually two COMPLETELY SEPARATE languages that the Americans lump together!

The Saxons in England speak English. The Angles in Scotland speak Scots (a very *similar* language). The Scots (in Ireland :-) speak Gaelic.

(I've simplified some 1500 years of history here, but it's a complicated mess :-)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden