RE: Aligning relative to page

From: Paul Harouff
Subject: RE: Aligning relative to page
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:31:36 -0500

Your question is also related to the discussion near the end of the "Merging
scores in one pdf" thread which just moved to the French LilyPond user
discuss list.

If you understand that the behavior of \markup is always relative to the
present location on the page, then you can understand why the kludge of
commands in Romel's answer is necessary. Center, right-align, left-align,
column, etc. are all relative to "a hypothetical note" at the current
location (which is the left margin when \markup is outside of a score). You
have to manually move the current location to the place where you want the
text before typing it.

Where the discussion in the other thread was headed was that when we
inexperienced users put a \markup outside of a score, we expect it to format
the text relative to the entire page. We shouldn't have to use fill-line or
hspace in order to get text to move to the center of the page. And vertical
control of the position of a \markup is almost impossible unless there is a
score after it.

I'm optimistic that sdfgsdhdshd and Valentin will uncover some useful tips
and tricks on the French list. Valentin promised to provide a summary for
the English list.

And please don't take this as negative criticism for LilyPond. LilyPond is
intended to be a music writing language, not a book typesetting language. It
is a tribute to the power of LilyPond that we are able to stretch its
boundaries this way with tips and tweaks.

My suggestion, instead of changing the present behavior of \markup, is to
add a "\text" or "\para" context object to contain a paragraph of text with
very simple formatting capabilities in its \layout block, such as:

paraBefore = Absolute (in, mm, pt) or Relative (x.x lines)
paraAfter = Absolute (in, mm, pt) or Relative (x.x lines)
paraLeft = Absolute (in, mm, pt) or Relative (% column width or x.x chars)
Indent
paraRight = Absolute (in, mm, pt) or Relative (% column width or x.x chars)
Indent
paraFirst = Absolute (in, mm, pt) or Relative (% column width or x.x chars)
Indent
   (negative would be hanging indent)
paraJust = Left, Center, Right, Full Justification

Most standard TeX character formatting commands (color, italic, bold,
underline, size, etc.) already exist, but may need to be tweaked for the new
context.

Paul