Re: Aligning relative to page - Use OOoLilyPond

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Aligning relative to page - Use OOoLilyPond
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:53:50 -0400

    >> I gave up trying to understand the \markup documentation when I
    >> discovered I could use OOoLilyPond to create png score snippets
    >> for each hymn that I could paste into MS Word documents
    >> containing the text of the church service. Then I have complete
    >> WYSIWYG control over the page layout. For pure production, this
    >> is by far the fastest solution I have found to get work done.

    Werner> And this will probably be the best solution forever.  You
    Werner> can't expect that LilyPond is a full-featured text
    Werner> processor engine.  Maybe this improves over time...

I think it would be a mistake for the developers to spend a lot of
time on that problem, though.  Unless we were to acquire developers
who were actually more interested in writing and designing text
processing than in continuing to improve the music processing.

I would much rather have the developers implement a consistent and
well-documented interface to publishing programs, and then do their
work on the music-processing.  I thought it was a step backward when
the \markup commands diverged from TeX syntax, which is well
documented and easy to get help on.  (Eitehr from this list or from
comp.text.tex.)  And if there's ever a system for aligning text on the
page that's anything like as sophisticated as a good publishing
program has, it will take the amount of person-years of work that the
good publishing programs spent on it.  Which I'm sure is 10's of years
if not hundreds or thousands.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139