Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen

From: Chris Snyder
Subject: Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:42:20 -0400

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
Your proposed text shows that you don't quite understand how
\textLengthOn works from a LilyPond point of view.  Your terminology
is not quite right, so we'll need to change the text a bit before
we put it in the manual.  I hope you'll not mind that.

Please feel free to modify it in whatever way you see fit.

\textLengthOn applies to a musical moment, not a note.  A musical
moment starts at an instant in time of the score, and includes all
events that occur at that instant.  A musical moment ends when
the next musical moment begins, or when the first event occurs
is not simultaneous with the current moment.

Your explanation is helpful - perhaps something like that should be in the doc as well? Looking at the docs some more, it seems that the idea of musical moments isn't explained anywhere (at least not as well as you've just explained it to me).

So, in the example, the first musical moment contains the c4 in
the treble cleff, the c1 in the bass clef, and the markup.  The
second musical moment contains the e in the treble clef.  The
effect of \textLengthOn is to make the first musical moment
take as much horizontal space as the markup.

While it appears that \textLengthOn adds space to the shortest
note, this is incorrect.  It is not the duration of the note in
the current moment that matters, but the timing of the first
note to follow the current moment.

This seems pedantic to me - isn't the time that elapses before the next musical moment going to be equal to the length of the shortest note/skip/rest in the current moment?

Perhaps this modified version of your example helps to
explain the concept.
\score...

That looks fine to me. I think I've understood it better than demonstrated in the example I provided; your version is easier to understand.

Thanks for taking the time to work with me on this. Your attention to detail on even such a minor element is appreciated.

-Chris