Re: First Frog Task

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: First Frog Task
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 15:15:55 +0100

Hi Carl,
Le vendredi 02 janvier 2009 à 20:16 -0700, Carl D. Sorensen a écrit :
> I've attached a file README-contrib.txt, which is an attempt at what one of
> you described as "Frogging for Dummies".  It gives at least a brief
> introduction to the key issues that I remember as obstacles when I got
> started with LilyPond development.

This is an excellent introduction!  I only have one remark: the sentence

"There is no one-page listing of the entire file tree, and
there's no table of contents or index for the location of the various
files."

is misleading IMO: there are about 3000 source files, so any one-page
listing of the entire file tree would not be very usable, and ROADMAP
lists what you should expect to find in each directory.  I suggest you
replace the sentence above with something like

"Any one-page listing of the entire file tree would not be very usable,
as the tree contains about 3000 source files; however, "

You could argue that most entries in ROADMAD could be elaborated with
more explanations.

> When you're done with this task, each function for which you are responsible
> should have an internationalizable docstring.  By internationalizable, I
> mean that it will look like (_i "This is the docstring."), rather than "This
> is the docstring."  Because we are adding internationalizable docstrings,
> you'll need to check even the functions that have docstrings.

We'll probably have to replace _i with something like _doc to make sure
the strings go to lilypond-doc gettext domain and not lilypond, but this
can wait until the Frogs have completed documentation of all functions.

Cheers,
John