Re: Real World Usage

From: MonAmiPierrot
Subject: Re: Real World Usage
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:38:36 -0700 (PDT)

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:

> in Hungarian, German and many other languages, the hyphenation often can
> not be correctly done without knowing the meaning of that word.
>
> Also, the same applies in LilyPond: if you use manual breaks to force
> breaks at convenient places, upon further editing (which usually results
> from spotting some missing notes or so), the whole layout must be
> checked again. Using a WYSIWYG tool errors introduced like this are far
> more easy to spot.

If I can understand the hyphenation problem (of course you can solve this in
both LaTeX and LyX by entering the hyphenated word if they are not too many,
and the WYSIWYG is of zero help here), I can't understand which is "the
same" with Lily. Are you talking about plain layout? Perhaps the "errors"
you are talking about are easier to spot witha a WYSIWYG tool, and easier to
fix. But they can be ten times less common in Lilypond, and once
conveniently fixed, maybe 90% of them would not come back again next time
you change the layout.
Hope I understood your point.
Piero

-----
Piero Faustini, PhD student
Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche
Sezione musicologia
Università di Ferrara

Main Software used:

- LyX 1.6.1 on WinXP sp3; EndNote & JabRef
- MikTex
- LaTeX class: Koma book
- Lilypond 2.12 for example excerpts
- BibLaTeX for bibliographies