Re: date in footer?

From: Chip
Subject: Re: date in footer?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:31:37 -0700

Graham Percival wrote:
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 05:10:11PM -0700, Chip wrote:

I didn't want to print something in the titles, I wanted to
print something in the footer. Am I being nitpicky here? To me
those are two different sections of a page.

\markup is \markup.  Look at the first example on
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Creating-titles

See all those \markups ?  ... in fact, see the version number in
the output?

... for that matter, did you see the "Note that you may use any
Formatting text, commands in the header." ?  Including a link to
the \markup explanation in NR 1.8 ?!

I still think this is a PEBKAC.

What's a PEBKAC? I've never seen that before. Anyway, I still find it hard to relate the footer to titles and headers, it just doesn't make sense to me to include it with those. In my way of thinking the footer is a separate entity and should be treated as such. Irregardless, in this entire thread I found only one example that did what I was looking for and I posted that reference long ago. It's not in any of the documentation, and that's the problem. I couldn't find the info on putting the date in the footer in the docs but did find it in a referred to sample code. Why can't such sample be in the docs? It would certainly simplify things for us learning lilypond. And maybe we wouldn't ask so many questions on a list that is meant for asking questions where we just get arguments and references to stuff that really doesn't help much. If it weren't for the fact that the other notation apps suck so bad I be using one of 'em just to avoid this list. It's nothing but negative attitudes here. Rather than helping people right from the beginning it's 'look at NRsuch-n-such' or 'look at LMsuch-n-such'. Fine, give us the reference, but also give us some real help and examples because that is what's sorely missing from the docs. As far as I'm concerned this is the end of this thread, reply if you want, but I am finished with it.
--
Chip
- Graham