Re: Notation Editor with MIDI

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: Notation Editor with MIDI
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:39:35 -0400

While MuseScore's ability to import *.ly files is a nice feature, the greatest thing about its export of *.ly files is the ability to type a score with keyboard and mouse, and then use LilyPond as the typesetter on the exported *.ly file.

MuseScore is still in beta status. Although its feature set doesn't yet rival Finale and Sibelius, a thorough walk through the menus and dialogs reveals that the groundwork has been laid to make it every bit as feature rich, and more. It's quite a bit buggier than even Finale (which is saying something), but then again, it's still in beta status.

Their goal--to become the de-facto standard notation program for learning institutions--is ambitious to be sure. It's not clear at this point if it will ever mature into a professional grade engraving tool. Nevertheless, I'm watching with interest...

David

Andy wrote:
Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola <at> gmail.com> writes:

Try Musescore

\r
btw why don't you install ubuntu 9.04? It has all you want.
Lilypond
Musescore
Nted
Rosegarden
Frescobaldi
Do I need all these programs to generate MIDI? It looks like I had only to install MuseScore on VISTA. I installed it within a minute and it runs. Except...

Since I asked in a Lilypond forum, I tried to generate a .ly file. This works, but MuseScore hangs, when I try to open the saved file. But this was only an experiment and should not affect normal work. I will report it in MuseScore forum.

Many thanks to all who answered.

regards,
Andy