Re: website: why do you use lilypond?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: website: why do you use lilypond?
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 12:17:41 -0400

On Saturday 01 August 2009, Graham Percival wrote:
> Work on the actual content of the website seems to have hit a
> brick wall.  I'm not very happy about this, especially since some
> of the gaps are easy to fill.  (*nobody* knows *anything* about
> the non-English forums for discussing lilypond?  really?!?)
>

> Anyway, I'm declaring the next week to be Introduction week.
> Pretend that you don't know what lilypond is.  Pretend that you
> manage to navigate the scary main page in order to get to the
> Introduction page.
>
> http://lilypond.org/~graham/Introduction.html
>
> Consider two questions:
> 1.  Would these 7 web pages (everything under Introduction)
> convince you to give lilypond a try?
> 2.  If you used lilypond for a short time (say, 1-3 hours), would
> you regret doing so?  I mean, do the current Introduction webpages
> gloss over any problems?  Would you feel cheated or mislead?
> I suppose we could take the view that it's advertizing, and thus
> we should *try* to trick people, but I really dislike this aspect
> of modern society.  If somebody wouldn't be happy with lilypond,
> then let's try to make sure they realize that before they try it.
>
> Pretty much everybody on this list uses lilypond, and there must
> be *some* features or reasons you use it.  So answering #1 should
> be easy.

Replace the "FDL" link with the word "License".  (or use British
spelling.  :-) )

I think that you need much more contrast on that which
is selected because of the gradations you are using.  The
gradations won't be as clear on browsers with less resources,
and that's ok except where there are selections.  White on
very dark red or purple perhaps?

The general layout is great.

Some cartoons would not be amiss.  At "bug reports" a delighted
frog nailing a bug with a loooooong tongue, and under "downloads"
some happy people being handed boxes off of the back of a truck, you
get the idea.  Regards, and thanks.  daveA

--
Very easy guitar music, solos, duets, exercises.  Intermediate guitar
solos, theory, banjo, harmonica.  Free download of technical exercises