Re: Microtonal Helmholtz-Ellis notation in Lilypond: fine-tuning

From: Torsten Anders
Subject: Re: Microtonal Helmholtz-Ellis notation in Lilypond: fine-tuning
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 00:26:51 +0100

Dear Kees,

On 07.09.2009, at 21:10, Kees van den Doel wrote:
Not sure if it will help you, but you can look at my solution for microtonal notation in this package: http://people.cs.ubc.ca/~kvdoel/tmp/persian.zip

Thank you for sharing this example. If I am not mistaken, you used the maqam example of the Lilypond documentation as a starting point for this. The advantage is that introducing new note names for each pitch nominal and accidental combination makes the score is rather concise (however, you first have to define all those combinations and with a large number of accidentals as in the case of something like the Helmholtz-Ellis notation -- or Saggital notation for that matter -- you get very very many note names).

I previously thought that the approach you are using is limited to signs from the Feta font, but you obviously managed to use other fonts as well, great! I will keep a mental note of that :)

Nevertheless, I don't see how with this approach you can have accidentals that consist of multiple signs. In order to make this point more clear I attached a version of the previous example transposed down by a septimal comma.

The accidentals for the chord get very cluttered in this example. Is it somehow possible to adapt the collision-avoidance code of accidentals to take the whole "area" of the accidental markups into account? I would rather prefer the output takes too much space than it is unreadable like this. For example, it would be great if accidental combinations would horizontally follow each other: first all accidentals for this note, then for that etc.

Thank you!

Best
Torsten

--
Torsten Anders
Interdisciplinary Centre for Computer Music Research