Re: Microtonal Helmholtz-Ellis notation in Lilypond: fine-tuning

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: Microtonal Helmholtz-Ellis notation in Lilypond: fine-tuning
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:22:56 +0200

Stefan Thomas wrote:
I don't understand why the distance between the barline and the cis is better if it is a whole note but not, if it is a quarter note.
Well, the whole note has more room because it isn't sharing the measure with any other notes. But the barline collision is a direct consequence of the extra-offset you are applying via StefansStringsOffsets: (-1 . 0).
I have problems with the correct spacing.
I suggest that you may not need these (errorprone) lists of spacing constants, e.g. you can derive the Y-extent as \override Accidental #'Y-extent = #(lambda (grob)
    (ly:stencil-extent (ly:text-interface::print grob) Y))
The same goes for X-extent, but here you can apply a correction for the inbuilt font padding, similar to my suggestion in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-09/msg00339.html \override Accidental #'X-extent = #(lambda (grob) (interval-translate (ly:stencil-extent (ly:text-interface::print grob) X) -0.5)) Feel free to adjust this value of 0.5 - it was only provisional. In fact it should really be scaled for non-default font sizes.

Cheers,
Robin