Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:50:08 +0100

Op donderdag 12-11-2009 om 08:36 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Kieren
MacMillan:

Hi Kieren,

> Absolutely... and, as we've witnessed, this is almost certainly
> materially affecting the number of developers that can/will work on
> Lilypond.

Of course.

> Like it or not, >95% of the computer world is not on Linux — for
> example, see <http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php>, which puts
> Linux at ~2.2% share.

Yes.

> Put another way, the difficulty of setting up a
> development system on anything but Linux is a significant obstacle to
> Lilypond's potential.

Well, that's the question, isn't it?  It depends on the percentage
of users on each platform that are able and willing to contribute.

It would surprise me if you could find many developers that want
to volunteer their time working on free software, yet continue
to do so using [and paying $$$$ for] a rigid, proprietary system
and developer tools?

Jan.

Avatar®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org