Re: Community of professional LilyPond engravers?

From: Jack Cooper
Subject: Re: Community of professional LilyPond engravers?
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 06:55:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi Michael,

I would be interested in joining a discussion related to engraving and (dare I
say)
publishing with Lilypond, whether the discussion is part of a wiki, part of this
group or part of a splinter group..

I have had a few freelance jobs fall my way and I know of folks who have hired
freelance engravers to create musical output.  The software used for engraving
doesn't seem to be relevant- depending on the use of the music output, either
a pdf or graphic image of the output is the end product.  I did have one project
where the client wanted Finale files of the score along with the pdf output.  I
am set
up with both Finale and Lilypond as well as translation tools (pdftomusicxml,
dolet for finale) so I am able to transfer output with a little tweaking to
current
or older finale versions.

I talked to a few engravers and did some research on how engraving projects
are charged.  There are a lot of complicated pricing schemes in place (charge
by the note,  measure, page, instrument, etc.) but in the end it seemed to
make sense to me to estimate how long it would take me to do the job and
charge accordingly.  I quote an hourly rate, but my 'hours' will vary on the
project and budget.  I also take into account that my skills are still
developing
so it isn't fair to charge for development time, where I am learning some new
trick that will take me less time when I've had more experience.

My main business isn't engraving but actually publishing printed songbooks
and digital sheet music.  As someone else mentioned, pdf output is what
is accepted by most printers, so how you get there is up to you.
In the digital realm, someone mentioned Sibelius as having the only real
solution for online scores (apart from pdfs, where you generally have no
control over who can access, copy and print the files).  I am currently
working with a company called Legato music (formerly MusicRain) that
has developed a technology for publishing online digital interactive sheet
music.  The current customer rep, Peter Maund, used to work for
Sibelius as the representative/support for Sibelius Scorch.  Legato
uses MusicXML files as input and allows for extensive digital content
management.  I am currently converting some of my Lilypond-generated
songs into MusicXML and am working on integrating Legato sales
into my online ecommerce site.

--
Jack Cooper, BerLen Music
www.berlenmusic.com