Re: Add prefix to lyrics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add prefix to lyrics
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:09:01 +0200

"Dmytro O. Redchuk" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I think that the font should provide the minimally acceptable
>> > hyphen.
>> I second that.
> I'd say that minimally acceptable for lyrics is far too short for text (and
> acceptable for text is too long for lyrics).

Text does not have variable length hyphens.  Dashes of various length
carry different meanings in text: hyphen, range dashes, ellipsis.

> So, the question is what is minimally acceptable for lyrics and ---
> next (sub)question --- will font's hyphen be acceptable for lyrics as
> a _minimally_ acceptable.

Obviously (to me), different character slots are required for the
extensible hyphens in lyrics, and a text hyphen.  A long lyric hyphen,
for example, can't have the thickness of a normal text hyphen, or you
get a heavy black bar across the page.  You can't dash with a text
hyphen perfectly either, because the ends of the hyphen are supposed to
convey, well, ends of a hyphen and not an interruption.

--
David Kastrup