Re: Add prefix to lyrics

From: Dmytro O. Redchuk
Subject: Re: Add prefix to lyrics
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 11:50:35 +0300

On Fri 03 Sep 2010, 10:09 David Kastrup wrote:
> "Dmytro O. Redchuk" <address@hidden> writes:
> > acceptable for text is too long for lyrics).
>
> Text does not have variable length hyphens.  Dashes of various length
> carry different meanings in text: hyphen, range dashes, ellipsis.
Yes, i knew that: -, –, — (or -, -- and --- in TeX?). And the only is the
hyphen, i believe: the shortest one .)

> > So, the question is what is minimally acceptable for lyrics and ---
> > next (sub)question --- will font's hyphen be acceptable for lyrics as
> > a _minimally_ acceptable.
>
> Obviously (to me), different character slots are required for the
> extensible hyphens in lyrics, and a text hyphen.  A long lyric hyphen,
> for example, can't have the thickness of a normal text hyphen, or you
> get a heavy black bar across the page.  You can't dash with a text
> hyphen perfectly either, because the ends of the hyphen are supposed to
> convey, well, ends of a hyphen and not an interruption.
I feel like i agree. Actually, what i would like to mention: using a font's
hyphen as a "minimally acceptable hyphen" for lyrics is, probably, bad idea (i
can imagine a sutiation when i need to refuse to use particular font _only_
because it's hyphen is too long for "minimally acceptable" lyrics hyphen "for
current project", let's say).

(ergh.. sorry for my english, can't express freely, stupid me)

--
  Dmytro O. Redchuk
  Bug Squad