Re: Add prefix to lyrics

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Add prefix to lyrics
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:29:39 +0200

On 2010-09-03 10:09, David Kastrup wrote:
"Dmytro O. Redchuk"<address@hidden>  writes:
On Fri 03 Sep 2010, 09:14 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
@ David: What I'm not quite sure about yet: Do you - in general -
think the font glyph should or should not be used?
I think that the font should provide the minimally acceptable
hyphen.
I second that.
I'd say that minimally acceptable for lyrics is far too short for text (and
acceptable for text is too long for lyrics).

Text does not have variable length hyphens.  Dashes of various length
carry different meanings in text: hyphen, range dashes, ellipsis.

Of which only the usual hyphen has a length still acceptable IMHO. The others are too long.

So, the question is what is minimally acceptable for lyrics and ---
next (sub)question --- will font's hyphen be acceptable for lyrics as
a _minimally_ acceptable.

Obviously (to me), different character slots are required for the
extensible hyphens in lyrics, and a text hyphen.  A long lyric hyphen,
for example, can't have the thickness of a normal text hyphen, or you
get a heavy black bar across the page.

That's out of question, I guess. The dashing for longer hyphenations (e.g. over melismata) is also used to distinguish between extenders and hyphens, and that's a good thing to have.

You can't dash with a text
hyphen perfectly either, because the ends of the hyphen are supposed to
convey, well, ends of a hyphen and not an interruption.

Makes sense. Might it be better (and reasonably easy to implement) to get the x-height from the LyricText font, adjust the LyricHyphen markup accordingly, and provide a \hyphen markup to use in syllables where the user needs a manually repeated hyphen?

Cheers,
Alexander