Re: Complex time signature

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Complex time signature
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:43:39 +0100

Am Freitag, 14. Januar 2011, um 19:18:31 schrieb Arle Lommel:
> Here's a tiny example (just about as tiny as I can make with Reinhold's
> materials integrated anyway).

Hehe. You can make it even tinier: The \time command is not needed, as the
\compoundMeter is meant to completely replace \time.
I have chosen this name so far, because compound time signatures contain not
only the timing of the measure, but also the beat structure (i.e. the meter).
For consistency, it might be better to call it \compoundTime, though...

> I think it would be ideal if Reinhold’s functions could be integrated into
> the core of Lilypond, as they provide a really excellent way of getting
> either type of result.

Of course. As I said, I was missing the correct beat structure.

I have now added the beat structure to the \compoundMeter command, too, so you
can also get rid of the \set beatStructure = #'(3 3 4) override, as it will be
automatically created. Attached is the latest version, which I'll try to get
into the stock lilypond release.
Note that in Lilypond 2.13.x two properties were renamed (thus your warning):
    beatLength -> baseMoment
    beatGrouping -> beatStructure

The attached file is for 2.13.x. If you want to use the code with 2.12, use
the appropriate code (commented out) in lines 134-138.

Your example will then be:

 \relative c'' {
         <<
                 \new Staff {
                         \clef treble
                         \key a \mixolydian
                         \compoundMeter #'((3 3 4 16))

                         a16^"A" b16 a16 cis8 a16 cis8 a16 b16 |
                         fis'8. \acciaccatura a,8 fis'8. \acciaccatura a8 e4 |
                         e16. fis16. e16. d16. cis8 a8 |
                         b8. \acciaccatura a8 b8 a16 cis4 |

Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886