Re: Compile for Mac

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Compile for Mac
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:47:59 +0000

Carl,

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:13:38 -0700
To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>, LilyPond User
<address@hidden>
Subject: Compile for Mac

>Tim Sheasby <tim <at> sheafpublishing.co.za> writes:
>

>> Using lilydev on a Virtual Box ubuntu machine ­ how do I compile a Mac
>>binary?
>>
>> Tim Sheasby
>> tim <at> sheafpublishing.co.za
>
>Ok, I just built LilyPond on OSX 10.6.  Takes a bit of time to get
>everything set up,
>but the build came off flawlessly.
>
>Here's the recipe:
>
>1. Install XCode.  I installed version 3.2.6, because it was free.
>
>http://developer.apple.com/xcode/
>
>Look for the "Looking for XCode 3?" link at the lower right of the screen.
>Follow it.
>You will need to sign up with Apple, but there's no cost.
>
>2. Install MacPorts.  I installed version 1.9.2 for Snow Leopard.
>
>http://www.macports.org/
>
>3.  Edit my ~/.profile file to add the following lines:
>
>export PATH=~/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
>export
>DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib:$DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH
>

>4.  Install the necessary prerequisites for lilypond
>
>sudo port install git-core
>sudo port install guile
>sudo port install fontforge
>sudo port install mftrace
>sudo port install flex
>sudo port install netpbm
>sudo port install fontconfig (This one was actually not necessary --
>already
>installed)
>sudo port install pango (Also already installed)
>sudo port install fondu
>sudo port install t1utils
>
>The next two ports are optional, but I did them anyway so I could
>build the documentation.
>sudo port install imagemagick
>sudo port install dblatex
>
>Create symlinks to libguile*.dylib called *.so
>
>cd /opt/local/lib
>ls -lG libguile* | grep lrwx
>
>This gives a list of files in the form of
>
>libguile-SPECIFIC_FILE_NAME.dylib -> libguile-LINKED_TO_FILE_NAME.dylib
>
>For each of those files, do
>
>ln -s libguile-LINKED_TO_FILE_NAME.dylib libguile-SPECIFIC_FILE_NAME.so
>
>Now it's time to go get set up with lilypond.
>
>cd ~
>mkdir my-lily-source  (or whatever you want to call it)
>cd my-lily-source
>git clone git://sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
>
>copy the following into ~/bin/lilypond-configure:
>
>#! /bin/bash
># find fontconfig, freetype and pango from DarwinPorts
>PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig
>CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include"
># -shared flag does not work on mac os x
>SHARED_FLAGS="-bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress"
>LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib -lexpat"
># where New Century School Book .pfb files are located:
>NCSB_DIR="/opt/local/share/ghostscript/fonts"
>
>./autogen.sh --noconf
>rm -f config.cache
>PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PKG_CONFIG_PATH" SHARED_FLAGS="$SHARED_FLAGS" \
>       CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS" LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS" ./configure
> [...]

I'd like to have a go at this - me with absolutely no real code building
experience other than following CG for building doc in LilyPond (and much
cajoling from Graham).

:)

I'm perfectly comfortable with using Terminal but have never installed the
MacPorts stuff before.

If this works for me then I think it would be really helpful to have in
the CG simply because if I can do it, then anyone who had a modicum of
building code experience can do it and won't have to hunt about the
message boards.

I have Mac OS X 10.6.6 w/ 4GB or RAM on a second gen imac

  Model Name: iMac
  Model Identifier: iMac7,1
  Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Is this enough?

How long do you guesstimate it would take compile (I.e the make bit).

James