Re: what about simplifying music notation?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: what about simplifying music notation?
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:35:49 +0100

2011/3/14 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> The _only_ non-fringe (and you
> might debate that) instrument I know that has controls _deliberately_
> designed around a chromatic scale (note that string instruments have
> their controls dictated by physics) is the chromatic button accordion.
>
> Every _other_ instrument, even woodwinds and percussion, has its
> controls designed around a diatonic scale, and where that scale is not C
> major, the instrument is often written down in transposed notation.

Let me add Stanley Jordan's guitar tuned by fifths which looks fairly
chromatic to me.  Here, all scales have to be fingered on purpose and
equally no matter the pitch.  Granted, open strings tend to be natural
pitches. Forget open strings.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com