Re: what about simplifying music notation?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: what about simplifying music notation?
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:06:51 +0100

2011/3/14 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:
>> Frets in a guitar are absolutely chromatic.  I did not mention
>> fretless instruments.
>
> So please explain how you are would sort frets into a diatonic scale
> arrangement corresponding to white keys on a piano, with the frets
> corresponding to black keys put someplace else.

I a sense, frets behave like buttons.

> The frets in a guitar are not _deliberately_ designed around a chromatic
> scale, but because their positioning is dictated by physics.

Still, frets behave somewhat like buttons.

> Contrast that with a flute or a saxophone or anything else with a
> _deliberate_ design of controls.

That's why I mentioned Stanley Jordan who percutes strings against the
fretboard only, thus allowing complex two-hand polyphony and making
frets look as if they were buttons :-))

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com