Re: markup for partial measures

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: markup for partial measures
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:55:34 +0200

Am Freitag, 24. Juni 2011, 17:57:38 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
> Greetings again,
>
> since I mostly typeset folk songs, I need a lot of \partial measures
> (e.g. at the end or at repeats).

You don't need to use \partial for the final measure or repeats at all. I.e.
it is perfectly fine to use code like:

\score {
  \relative c'' {
    \partial 4 c4 |
    d e \repeat volta 2 { f e | d c }
        \alternative {{b a | f e} {b' a | g f}} e d |
    c c c \bar"|."

> BTW: Some songbooks use partial measures at every start and end of a
> line, if the song starts with an upbeat. E.g. with a 1/4 upbeat in a
> 4/4 time, every line ends with a 3/4 partial and the next starts with
> a 1/4 partial.
> Some notation programs are able to do that automatically - IIRC I saw
> it with Capella.
> Is that possible with LilyPond without manually inserting \breaks and
> \partials?

It's not easily possible. However, you don't need \partials at all and you can
do it without manually inserting breaks (i.e. you can let LilyPond do the
automatic line breaking without hardcoding line breaks).

It requires two steps:

1) simply insert \bar "" to indicate all mid-measure positions where line
breaks are allowed (i.e. in your case you need to insert it after three
quarters in each measure). Please note that \bar"" does NOT indicate the end
of a measure (i.e. lilypond will NOT print bar check errors, nor will it
increase the measure number), but just that the measure can be split here.

2) Tell LilyPond not to break at the bar lines, i.e. add a \noBreak after each
visible barline.

Here's a simple example:

\score {
  \relative c'' {
    \partial 4 c4 |
    \repeat unfold 55 { c c c\bar "" c |\noBreak }
    c c c \bar"|."

Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886