Re: markup for partial measures

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: markup for partial measures
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:40:57 +0200

Am 2011-06-24 um 18:55 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:

You don't need to use \partial for the final measure or repeats at all.

Thank you for the hint - it didn't occur to me to try, since it seemed necessary in earlier versions.

BTW: Some songbooks use partial measures at every start and end of a
line, if the song starts with an upbeat. E.g. with a 1/4 upbeat in a
4/4 time, every line ends with a 3/4 partial and the next starts with
a 1/4 partial.
Some notation programs are able to do that automatically - IIRC I saw
it with Capella.
Is that possible with LilyPond without manually inserting \breaks and
\partials?

It's not easily possible. However, you don't need \partials at all and you can do it without manually inserting breaks (i.e. you can let LilyPond do the
automatic line breaking without hardcoding line breaks).
Here's a simple example:

\score {
 \relative c'' {
   \partial 4 c4 |
   \repeat unfold 55 { c c c\bar "" c |\noBreak }
   c c c \bar"|."

Thank you again, but that's rather verbose - and since I don’t really need it (yet), I will just store it for the day when my editor will request it ;-)

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm