Re: Notation of french horn

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Re: Notation of french horn
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:23:47 -0700

Jay Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Josiah Boothby <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> That would be hilarious. I would pay you twenty-five cents to arrange
>> the horn parts to, say, Tristan und Isolde so that each new fingering
>> is notated as a crook change. I'd pay fifty cents if it was actually
>> legible.
> Wagner sometimes got close to this. Look at the first horn part to
> Lohengrin. Especially the beginning of act 3:
> http://imslp.org/wiki/Lohengrin,_WWV_75_(Wagner,_Richard). It's silly.

Amazing.  It's like Wagner was being charged double for every ledger
line, and used crook changes and clef changes to avoid them.  The
trumpet part has as many changes as the horn part.

I do have to say that I don't intuitively understand why no key
signatures were used.  I understand it is tradition, but I don't see why
an exception was needed.

--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.