Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 20:12:33 +0200

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Jeff Barnes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Wouldn't your time be more wisely spent trying to get corporate sponsors?
> I see a lot more success stories in the open source world where a corporation
> donates developers to projects the company have an interest in.
> As in, 1) convince a large publishing house they'd be better off
> relying on an open source music engraver

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen soon.  Even small, local
publishers (i've asked some not long ago) are not interested in
anything else than Finale/Sibelius.  I predict that it will take 3-5
years before any major publisher begins using LilyPond, let alone
switching significant part of the production to it - they are just too
set in stone.  And that's assuming some improvements in LilyPond.  And
some significant editions created with LilyPond by independent
publishers.

> I'm probably saying a lot of crude things that offend people. I have a
> limited knowledge of LilyPond's history and culture. I'm sorry if I offend.
> I'm just a straight-shooter, that's all

i'm not offended - of course i cannot speak for David.

> (and a newbie to this list).

welcome! :)
Janek