Re: stem across voices

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: stem across voices
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 20:58:01 -0400

On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 15:15 +0200, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can you tell me what's the "meaning" of a stem which connects a note in
> a voice to a rest (?) in another voice?
> See image attached.
>
> Is it good output? (I think it's been engraved in Finale)
> If so, how can I get it in LilyPond?

It's fine. The double stem in guitar music usually indicates
harp-legato in the short beamed notes for the written duration of the
long note, but with only one eighth note
there is no difference whatever between the extra stem and a rest.

Depending on who wrote it and when, you might use an eighth
rest instead.

You can do what you ask by having the note in both parts and merging
the heads. IMO if you really have the same note on two strings
you should not merge the heads, but there is no such rule.
There is also no such thing as an authority on music
notation. Regards, daveA