Re: stem across voices

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: stem across voices
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 16:07:00 +0200

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm referring to the third beat of the bar.
> I'm wondering what the author means with that stem which connects the F in
> second voice to the beam in first voice.
>
> Yes, you are right: they are sharing the same notehead.
> But I think it's wrong: only one voice can play that note.
> Probably the author should have used a (spacer) rest in first voice?
>
> Sorry, I don't have any education in musical notation, my explanations will
> sound weird

This is a correct engraving.
Only one sound is to be played.
This notation means
"there's a melody going on like that:
\relative c {
  \key g \major
  e8 [( f)] f' a, f f'~ f4
}
and by the way, there's a bass line like this
\relative c {
  \key g \major
  \voiceTwo
  e4 f f f
}
And atually, some of the sounds are shared".

hth,
Janek