subito dynamic after hairpin

From: wjm
Subject: subito dynamic after hairpin
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:50:29 +1200

You wrote:-
+++++++++++++++++
Hi, I am trying to make a decrescendo end in a subito dynamic for the next note. .....
+++++++++++++++

Given that sfz is equal to subito-forzando
(see http://piano.about.com/od/termsrelatingtodynamics/g/GL_subito.htm)

and from the NR
Absolute dynamic marks are specified using a command after a note, such as c4\ff. The available dynamic marks are \ppppp, \pppp, \ppp, \pp, \p, \mp, \mf, \f, \ff, \fff, \ffff, \fffff, \fp, \sf, \sff, \sp, \spp, \sfz, and \rfz.

I did a bit of lateral guessing and eventually ended up at the file
dynamic-scripts-init.ly in <my> folder
/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly
(yours is probably different.)

A simple edit of that file to add
smf = #(make-dynamic-script "smf")
after the sff entry
allowed LP to process your file, altered appropriately, to produce something which I think is musically acceptable although the full 'subito' text is not produced.

Hope this helps
E&OE ! :)

Regards
Bill