Re: dynamics seperatate from the notes entry

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: dynamics seperatate from the notes entry
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 16:19:41 +0100 (CET)

Phil Holmes:
> > Yes, you can place the dynamics above the staff, but I don't really see
> > the
> > point of that. Now your forte collides with the tempo mark. And in choir
> > notes
> > it would only solve any potential collisions between dynamics and lyrics
> > for
> > one staff only.
>
> The point of doing it is that it's the correct way to do it.

Please spare me of the "correct" way to do thing. I'm interested in
rationales and information about conventions. That doesn't mean I have
to follow them. Though I don't mind making it easy to follow
conventions, at least as an option and if it is not to much work.

>  We singers
> like to have clear lyrics, since we need to assimilate them quickly when
> sight reading.  Dynamics are less important - we get shouted at concerning
> the important ones and ignore the rest.

It all depends on what end you are pursuing then? Maybe I should
remove the lyrics to make the choir respect the rhytmics and
dynamics.

> Gould, page 434: "Dynamics, expression marks and verbal instructions go
> above the stave in order to leave space below the stave clear for the sung
> text."

Thanks for the citation.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar