Re: ledger line crash with very high notes in first chord of system

From: Jeffrey Trevino
Subject: Re: ledger line crash with very high notes in first chord of system
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 02:21:26 -0800

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your report and your suggested override. I'll give it a shot; in the meantime, I've gone for a popular contemporary music workaround: the addition of a third staff with an octave treble clef, to eliminate the ledger lines. (hence my post about changing staffs for the notes of a chord...)

cheers,
Jeff

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:
Jeffrey Trevino <jeffrey.trevino2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> the accidentals should be moved to the left to avoid collision with the ledger
lines.

Yes, the ledger lines are discontinuous, so they hide the accidental much more
than staff lines would.
I added a bug report <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3141>

Probably this can be fixed, when someone is able to spend the time.  An
example of this situation in a printed score from some respected engraver
would be help to get the spacing right.

Until then, I can't think of a clear work-around, except telling LilyPond
to treat the stem as if it were wider, nearly as wide as the ledgers
 \once\override Stem #'minimum-X-extent = #'(-1.2 . 0)