Re: Pseudo-handwritten font

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Pseudo-handwritten font
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:38:11 -0500

On Mar 15, 2013, at 4:52 AM, Robert Schmaus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Torsten,
>
> first of all: This looks just amazing! Thanks for sharing it!
> Even though I like LilyPond's original typesetting a lot, I noticed that
> sheets get more difficult to read in certain lighting conditions (I
> assume you are a jazz musician as well and know what I mean ...).
> Especially for those, who have to play actual notes (in contrast to guys
> like me who mainly need the chords). This somewhat more "massive" look
> of the written music should be easier to read in murky stage light.
>
> The same, of course applies to ChordNames - right now, I combine your
> work with a jazzy font found here:
> https://sites.google.com/site/jpgzic/
> You probably know that one ...

Thank you for that!  It helped me be able to render the chord names in the
LilyJAZZText font; I had not been able to figure out how to do that.

My next question is how to apply the font to the header block.  I also use
\markup, \fill-line and \column above the music to list solo orders and any
other notes for the arrangement.  I don't know how to apply the font to that,
either.  It would be nice to be able to do so just for the sake of visual
consistency.

Is there a simple way to apply the text font to all text on the page?

> I'm looking forward to further versions! I'm probably not of much use in
> helping you to create those, but if I can do anything to help in testing
> &c, I'd be happy to! Most of what I write are jazz lead sheets anyway

This is true for me as well. It's very exciting to have the opportunity to
present a simpler and hopefully more quickly readable appearance for use on the
bandstand.  Torsten has done a wonderful thing with this.