Re: lilypond presentation

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: lilypond presentation
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:33:18 +0200

2013/6/24 Karl Hammar <address@hidden>

> Janek:
> > 2013/6/24 Karl Hammar <address@hidden>:
> > > Hello all,
> > > are there any lilypond presentations available I could use this week
> > > when presenting lilypond for a few musicians here at Uppsala Cathedral.
> >
> > What kind of presentation are you looking for?  I mean, in-depth stuff
> > showing how lilypond works inside or something like "look, Finale
> > produces ugly notation and LilyPond is better!"?
>
> Something so that people sees its value and and starts asking
> questions.

Excellent!  Here are some resources:
- slideshow i used for a 5-min "flash talk" about music engraving.
It's in Polish, but i think images will give you some inspiration:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpz7ius7pk1nqx5/2013.04%20-%20sk%C5%82ad%20nut%20%28flaszki%208.1%29.pdf
- some "lilypond vs something else" comparisons, intended to show that
typesetting really matters, and that LilyPond fares well here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgzcnr7bhmnl72x/engraving%20comparisons.zip
(in polish again, but if you like them, i'll do a quick-and-dirty
translation)
- tell them about crowd-engraving
(https://lilypondblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/crowd-engraving-whats-that-part-1/),
and show them the score displayed there.  It was created by people
with almost 0 experience in music engraving!  (of course, i had to
write a skeleton structure first, but that was a one-time job - If
you're interested, i can send you that skeleton).
- show them the attached score.  It contains very few overrides, and
they are very subtle anyway - even the 100% default output looks
excellent.

hth,
Janek