Re: LilyPond blog has new home!

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: LilyPond blog has new home!
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 10:46:26 +0200 (CEST)

Janek:
> So, how do you like the new location and graphic design?  I saw a lot
> of visitors after the announcement, but there were very few
> comments...

I'm fine with the new locataion and design.

///

In your "Less blatant marketing, please?" you seen to focus on the wrong thing:
In the finale blog, you could have picked up:

 "The two books collectively consist of four basic layouts: 0/1
 combination tables (where 0 and 1 express silence and sound),
 rest/note combination tables, single staff music measures, and
 multi-staff music measures. The 0/1 tables were created in
 InDesign, the layout program where all the Finale files were
 eventually imported and placed as TIFF files.

Can't indesign handle vector graphics, or why did he use tiff files
(bitmaps). This seem to be a flaw in his workflow.

 The single staff music measures were created to present the
 patterns generated in the combination tables. Each vertical
 measure line had to be aligned manually to create a symmetrical
 appearance on the page. The multi-staff music measures in Vol. II
 were created to present identical patterns written in different
 metric contexts (e.g., 4/2, 4/4, 4/8, 4/16, 4/32).

"had to be alignend manually", why was that nessesary ?
Is is the wrong tools, or did he not know how to use the tools?

///

If you look at:

 http://downloads2.makemusic.com/blog/elementsv1-p221.pdf &

from his "Binary Theory and Creation of the Fundamental Rhythm
Patterns", you'll see that the table is simply a

 pattern = 0x00E0; // where each bit '1' is 64th note, '0' 64 pause

 while ( pattern < 0xFF ) {
  print_top7bits(pattern);
  print_byte(pattern);
  pattern++;
  print_byte(pattern);
  pattern++;
  next_line();
 }

 make_box();

How hard would that to do in lilypond ?

///

If you look at his

 http://downloads2.makemusic.com/blog/elementsv2-p79.pdf

the exercise 19 and 20 are similar to the above,

 a = 0x48;
 make_exercise( number, a ) {
  music = { \time 7/2 }
  add_measure( music, a )
  add_measure( music, ++a )
  add_measure( music, ++a )
  add_measure( music, ++a )
  \mark\markup { \box number }
  print_music(music);
 }

 make_exercise( 19, 0x48   );
 make_exercise( 20, 0x48+4 );

If the rest of his book is like that, it wouldn't seem unreasonable
that the exercises could be generated from just a modest set of
lilypond code.

///

And BTW, what is "rhythm pattern theory" ?

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory :
 A theory is not the same as a hypothesis, as a theory is a 'proven'
 hypothesis, that, in other words, has never been disproved through
 experiment, and has a basis in fact.)

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data