Re: Henle piano template

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Henle piano template
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:07:31 -0400

Hi Urs,

> No, these don't, but I think that fingerings in itself _do_ belong in there,
> and if the original ones from Henle are copyrighted ...

This is my vision.

1. Each of the following hierarchically inherits from (i.e., includes) the one
above:

    Lilypond.ily
    Score.ily
    PianoStaff.ily
    Lilypond_piano_solo.ily
    Lilypond_piano_solo_letter.ily, Lilypond_piano_solo_A4.ily,
Lilypond_piano_solo_letter_landscape.ily, …

This would be the point at which the default Lilypond user would \include a
"house style" (e.g., Lilypond_piano_solo_letter.ily) to engrave their basic
piano solo parts.

Then we'd have

    Henle_piano_concert.ily

or some such name. This would be in place of Lilypond_piano_solo_letter.ily
(etc.), and would be included if you wanted that "Henle Beethoven urtext" look.
Finally, we have

    Beethoven_Op10No3_manuscript.ily
    Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976_editorials.ily

and you'd have a file

    Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976.ly
        \include Henle_piano_concert.ily
        \include Beethoven_Op10No3_manuscript.ily
        \include Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976_editorials.ily

Yes?

So fingerings (which are NOT in the manuscript, as far as I know) would be
included in Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976_editorials.ily only, not the
main stylesheet (Henle_piano_concert.ily).

Of course, in order to make the main stylesheet as good as possible, we need to
have fingerings in there (via the \include structure I've outlined above), so
that we can tweak everything accordingly. To avoid the copyright problem, I
would do this (which, ultimately, is a superior structure anyway):

    Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976.ly
        \include Henle_piano_concert.ily
        \include Beethoven_Op10No3_manuscript.ily
        \include Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Kieren_editorials.ily

Right?

Thanks,
Kieren.