Re: Henle piano template

From: PMA
Subject: Re: Henle piano template
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 17:41:28 -0400

Urs Liska wrote:
"Urtext" is a fiction anyway in 95% of the cases. What would you
consider "Urtext" when you have a manuscript, a fair copy, an original
edition controlled by the composer, a personal copy of the OE with
corrections, and another, later manuscript with other readings than the
OE or the corrected copy?
Or (as is often the case with Chopin for example) if you have an
original edition and several copies of that edition with different
additions by the composer (for example embellishments for different
pupils)?
Fair enough, except that with fingerings by somebody centuries
after a composer's death, the term "Urtext" just hits like a slap --
as though the term "original" meant, oh, anything.  "Perfect" is
beside the point.
I think there can't be such a thing like a perfect edition. ...

Perhaps I'd have interpreted the term less
strictly, had I not as a pianist counted on blank space
to scribble in _my_ fingerings.
That's true. I have more and more got used to not write any fingerings
at all (I usually find them simply distracting). And the less fingerings
the editors printed the less black spots I have to 'mute' mentally. When
I pick a copy from the time with my first piano teacher I'm usually
shocked: He let me copy his fingerings, and that means that in
complicated passages I have fingerings attached to nearly all notes! I
really can't play from these scores anymore. I was quite surprised when
I had a Bach score at the piano that I found it quite difficult, but
after erasing all the pencil fingerings I could practically play it from
sight again.
A hefty argument for printing _no_ fingerings -- except to report the
composer's suggestions, for whatever insight these might convey
(hand-differences in this regard notwithstanding).

PA