Re: MIDI keyboard

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: MIDI keyboard
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:00:01 +0200

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> here is your problem. You are hoping that the timing of your keypress
> could be interpreted and a duration of note estimated from it. Such
> systems have been tried many times, and are offered by programs that
> don't care if you succeed or not, as long as you buy the program. They
> don't work because of the subtleties of timing, rests and notation
> (consider, 1/4 note tied to 1/8 note is the same duration as dotted 1/4
> note).

Rumor does this, to some extent.

> Be aware that in terms of speed of entry, it would not help: with the
> numeric keypad method you can incorporate the slurs as you enter the
> rhythm, and (with the latest version of Denemo) you can enter triplets
> while not breaking your rhythm. What it would save is getting used to
> switching key press of each type of duration, which is definitely a
> knack.

As a lousy keyboard player I can tell that some notes are shorter or
longer than others, but is it a half note? Or a dotted quarter? It's
hard for me to tell beforehand. (Yes I agree that it would be beneficial
to learn, but apparently I'm not just a lousy keyboard player, also a
lazy one :) ).

Later, while working out the LilyPond score, I straigthen out these
details but the more I get right initially the less I need to do later.

I'll give denemo an additional try.

-- Johan