Re: MIDI keyboard

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: MIDI keyboard
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:16:47 -0600

On 13-08-13 02:00 PM, Johan Vromans wrote:

Was it NoteWriter?
http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/NoteWriter/index.html
>From reading the reference manual: no.

"All notes, except the whole note and double whole note (breve), require
two mouse clicks. The first mouse click places the head of the note, and
the second draws the stem (or flag) to the height of the second cursor
position."

That's definitely not how it worked. The program I used was much simpler
(and older).

Just for the sake of preserving antiquity, I had the opportunity to play around with a music writing program being developed at the National Research Centre in IIRC '65 or '66. Pitch entry was controlled by a thumbwheel*, moving a glyph up and down on the CRT. Duration was (hazy here) by function keys. Even more fun: one could use the controls to alter the waveform of the generated sounds. Regrettably, my mental attic doesn't have the name of the program, although from the shapes of the glyphs it may have been written in APL, nor the name of the researcher.

Cheers,
Colin

* Mouse!? We don't need no . . .

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both
hands.