Re: Problems with LilyJAZZ.ily

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Problems with LilyJAZZ.ily
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 08:10:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Tim McNamara wrote:

Thanks for having a bash at that. As a matter of taste, I think I prefer not having the font's sharps and flats used in the chord names because they look disproportionately large compared to the text, whereas the default accidentals look fine to my eyes. Also, the lack of a lower case "m" in the font has confused my horn players so I use "-" instead of "m" in minor chords.

Hi,

I'm following this discussion from a distance. I am not a Jazz musician and have always wondered why Jazz musicians prefer computer-engraved sheet music that tries to look like it is hand written. My brother is a jazz composer/arranger who uses Finale and who always uses Finale's jazzfont for his compositions.

Is it just a tradition, and something jazz musicians feel familiar and comfortable with while writing and reading music? Or is a Jazzfont *really* easier to read on stage?

It would be interesting to do scientific research in what way a music font can influence the way we read music: reading speed, number of errors when sight-reading, things like that.

Maybe it could even be possible to design a music font that improves the reading skills for people who have always had trouble to read music. Something comparable to that special text font that was designed for people with dyslexia: http://www.studiostudio.nl/en/information/

I have heard this font really works for some people with dyslexia.

--

MT