Re: Problems with LilyJAZZ.ily

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Problems with LilyJAZZ.ily
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:06:05 +0200

Am 10.10.2013 08:10, schrieb Martin Tarenskeen:

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Tim McNamara wrote:

Thanks for having a bash at that.  As a matter of taste, I think I
prefer not having the font's sharps and flats used in the chord names
because they look disproportionately large compared to the text,
whereas the default accidentals look fine to my eyes.  Also, the lack
of a lower case "m" in the font has confused my horn players so I use
"-" instead of "m" in minor chords.

Hi,

I'm following this discussion from a distance. I am not a Jazz musician
and have always wondered why Jazz musicians prefer computer-engraved
sheet music that tries to look like it is hand written. My brother is a
jazz composer/arranger who uses Finale and who always uses Finale's
jazzfont for his compositions.

Is it just a tradition, and something jazz musicians feel familiar and
comfortable with while writing and reading music? Or is a Jazzfont
*really* easier to read on stage?

I think the chord names are easier to read with that font, but a bold
version of a text font will work as well (LilyPonds default and the
fonts used in guitar song books would not work quite well).

Apart from that it is merely a habit. I found out that I am irritated
to find a H-7 (the german B minor 7) in a Jazz score, but have no
problems playing a Hm7 in a songbook, so it is probably some kind of
context dependency.
(As a side note: I can read the bass clef much faster when I have a
bass guitar on the strap. Trying to identify the notes with a
guitar at hand feels unfamiliar and thus takes more time).

Just my personal experience, but this is an interesting topic for sure

It would be interesting to do scientific research in what way a music
font can influence the way we read music: reading speed, number of
errors when sight-reading, things like that.

There is an interesting attempt for a slanted music font called 'Musica presto' by Hermann Zapf sketched in 1938 that should mimic the speed of
the piece by having slanted clefs, stems etc.
I assume the second world war prevented further work in this direction,
but the specimens look interesting.

Maybe it could even be possible to design a music font that improves the
reading skills for people who have always had trouble to read music.
Something comparable to that special text font that was designed for
people with dyslexia: http://www.studiostudio.nl/en/information/

This would imply a lot of testing in real-world conditions.
But the idea is promising ;-)

Marc