Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 06:39:22 -0800 (PST)

Janek Warchoł wrote
> Please don't get disheartened by this discussion - i believe that what
> you're doing is valuable (i do agree that LilyPond's spacing between
> clef and notes with many accidentals needs adjustment).  In fact, you
> remind me of myself a few years ago :-)  Just be aware that when
> discussing engraving practices with LilyPond devs it may be not enough
> to have an engraving book that agrees with you to win the argument :-)

Hi Janek, I have no problems on losing an argument. In fact, I don't see
this as a win/lose situation. I started this post by clearly inviting people
to discuss, and I never said that I was right on anything. The fact that a
book I respect stated something that supports my initial idea does not mean
that this has to be implemented or is the only solution. I have no problems
with people saying "no you are wrong and we shouldn't implement that because
it is worse". Thanks for your message and thanks for seeing these posts as
valuable.

Janek Warchoł wrote
> PS if you could investigate spacing alists (this shouldn't be hard)
> and make a proposal of how exactly they should be changed, that would
> be very good.  Discussions about concrete proposals *with* the code
> change are much different than discussions without the code.

I will check that, thanks for the tip.

Take care,
Gilberto