Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 20:09:48 -0600

On Dec 4, 2013, at 6:18 PM, Phil Burfitt <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

Apple's applications are written by a legion of well paid professionals who do
nothing but live up to the Apple aesthetic.  Lilypond is written by a bunch of
volunteers in their spare times, none of whom (as far as I know) is an GUI
interface expert.

Powerful software and simple software are usually mutually exclusive.  Compare
Word, Pages and LaTeX, for example.  Pages is more elegant but can do a small
fraction of what Word can do.  Word can't do a lot of things that LaTeX can.

> AMEN+1
>
> I also think lilypond's website is terrible. It looks like something out of
> the eighties knocked up on a dos machine. By comparison, take a look at the
> home pages of musescore, finale and sibelius.

All things considered, I'd rather focus Lilypond's meager resources to software
that creates beautifully engraved sheet music.  The printed output of Lilypond
is vastly superior (and more readable by musicians) than MuseScore, Finale or
Sibelius.  I'm always amazed at how crappy Finale output looks, in particular.

If you think that Lilypond's web page needs a facelift, then volunteer to roll
up your sleeves and help change it by writing text blocks, creating better
HTML, creating better graphics, etc.  There is no well-funded corporation
behind Lilypond, just a bunch of dedicated and amazingly talented volunteer
programmers.